Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Birthday Outfit



Birthday parties are my thing. Anyone who knows me well could tell you that. I have been going all out since Elyssa's first party 5 years ago. I think it all started back when I was in high school and flipped through my first oriental trading post. Just the thought of putting together a "lavish" party put a smile on my face :)
Elaina is now on the receiving end of this royal treatment. Although after I try and coherce her into being still enough to get a good portrait tomorrow, she may feel more like a royal trying to evade the papparazzi!!!
Now, even though I go all out for parties, it is always done on a tight budget. Finding good deals is half of the fun! When searching on line for birthday outfit ideas, I found some things that I just adored, but was not willing to purchase. I understand that handmade outfits take a lot of time and hard work, which is why they are so expensive, but if they can do it, so can I! And if I can't do it, then I know someone (love you, mom) who can. First I found the skirt and sweater on clearance at gymboree for a total of $31. That store was a treasure trove this time around. I also picked up a pair of leggings and a shirt that are pink and brown and covered with sweets for her to wear to play in the day of her party. The theme, by the way, is Our SWEET Girl! (Picture pink and brown with lots of chocolate and other tasty treats.) After searching for the ideal hat, I finally gave up and decided to complete the picture outfit myself. I bought a felt hat at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 that was pink and purple with polka dots (which I preceded to tear apart and recover at home). Found a ribbon topper for $.99 that was intended to go on top of a present. Bought some pink, brown, and off white felt for about $1.oo including one piece that was peel and stick and a few extra squares for decorations. The trim was also peel and stick and only cost $1.99. Last but not least was the ribbon that was on sale for $.50. I took back a onesie to Children's Place that she had never worn and traded it for the off white one, so that didn't cost a thing. WooHoo!
So...for a total of $37.50 + tax, I made this adorable outfit. The ones I found on line were a lot pricier and didn't come with a sweater. The final product came out better than I had imagined, regardless of the fact that I can't make straight even stitches to save my life!

2 comments:

Eigna said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest thing ever! Good job, Tori! Maybe you should start a party planning business, too! :)

Tori said...

As fun as that might be, I barely manage to get the work I have to do done. (Especially the housework part!!!)