Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Childlike Faith

Matthew 18:3 (Amplified Bible)
3And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all].

How is it that the child God has given me to raise and teach about Him can so often be MY teacher? Just last week we were reading her nightly devotional and that night it was about the Lord's Prayer. The scripture was in a different translation then the one I memorized as a child. I said, "this is how I learned it" ...and quoted what is most likely the New King James version. Elyssa quickly replied, "That's not how I pray. I just talk to God." We continued our discussion, but in my head I couldn't get past the realization that my 6 year old daughter possibly has a better and more intimate prayer life than me. I want to pray and trust and believe, but she DOES pray and trust and believe. I am so thankful for that.

She is in Amarillo right now and will be home late tonight. Her grandfather (Eric's dad) is in the hospital after congestive heart failure. For a short time we didn't know if he would make it. When we talked about it she listened and responded that if something happened she would be OK...she was used to it. Then she pointed out that he would get to be in heaven with Jesus and see Mia and my step mom. "And his mom and dad...that would be good, huh? He would be happy." She understands that sadness of losing someone, but she looks at heaven as something to look forward to, not something to be scared of. She is certainly glad to still have her Papaw here with us for now!

1 comment:

Keri said...

To have faith like a child... Sign me up.