Monday, July 14, 2008

A Child's Mind

I have decided that one of the reasons God has given us children is to help build up our ego on those rough days. They may not always know just what to say, but somehow what they do say can be just what you need to bring a smile to your day.
A few nights ago Elyssa and I were talking after reading her devotional for the night. It had an old hymn as part of the reading, so I taught it to her so we could sing it together. The week had been hard on her, but she couldn't seem to put what she was feeling into words when I would ask her what was wrong, so as the following conversation progressed, I thought we were heading towards a break through that would allow me a glimse into her deepest thoughts.

Elyssa: Mom?
Me: Yes.
Elyssa: Can I tell you something? I mean...it may seem kinda wierd.
Me: You can tell me anything, even if it's wierd.
Elyssa: Well, I don't know...
Me: What is it?
Elyssa: You know that show American Idol?
Me: Yes.
Elyssa: If you went on it, I think you would win.
Me: (Trying my hardest not to laugh) Thank you honey, you are very sweet.

OK - not the deep thoughts I was hoping for, but how incredibly sweet. The world may be rough and you may think you are being a less than wonderful mom, but your child still thinks you hung the moon. I realize that these days of innocence will not last for long, so I lock these moments in my memory, something to treasure for a lifetime.

2 comments:

Keri said...

I think I agree with Elyssa! :)

Julie said...

Just wanted to 'stop by' to thank you for 'stopping by'. You've created a fun blog here and take amazing pictures of those beautiful girls! Reading Mia's story brought tears to my eyes and I'm sorry that we have to have something like that in common, but at the same time thankful for blogging because it brings people like us together for support. Anyway, another thing we have in common is our 6 month old little girls that keep us busy busy so when you can, keep on blogging!